Friday, March 11

Feelings of Guilt

Everyone deals with death differently, but taking someone's life isn't an easy thing to deal with no matter the circumstances. So when I kill off a character in one of my novels I am sad. Even if the murder victim was once the despicable murderous ass that made me want to write about him or her of course.

Murder is in fact interesting, and those who don't believe that is a liar and probably holds murder in his or her heart themselves. They want to kill or have thought of killing or has in fact planned on killing. Burning a man who raped a 14 year old girl, then sodomized and humiliated her, then hanging her on the flag pole in front of the police station or federal building where the people who are tracking him dwell, brings me pleasure when writing. But afterward? Afterward I feel guilty, but only for a minute because like momma always use to say, 'I brought you into this world I'll take you out!'

Of course that only goes for those of us who write fiction!

1 comment:

  1. I think the advantage of writing fiction is definitely that you can write whatever you want to write. Having a good plot and knowing what to write can help you along the way to figure out what to do with all the characters. Once you're set on the murderer you get the feeling of wanting to play around with him, figuring out different ways of his acting. It's out of the question that you get excited about all the options that you have and then killing him off later in the story can make you feel guilty and sad because the excitement's gone. I think that's pretty normal when dealing with fiction. Just my opinion... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Quote Up!

Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the follo...